The Philippine Merchant Marine Academy (PMMA), the pioneer institution in maritime education in the country is supported by government funds with help from the shipping industry. It is the proud mother of the finest Filipino merchant marine officers. For many years, it has produced many master mariners, chief engineers, shipping executives, naval officers, excellent educators and trainors now serving in marine and maritime related industries in our country and abroad. Originally named “Escuela Nautica de Manila”, created by virtue of a Spanish Royal decree issued on January 1, 1820, the school was inaugurated on April 5 of the same year. It was initially located at Calle Cabildo, Intramuros, Manila until 1863. It was renamed as the Philippine Nautical School (PNS) during the American occupation. In 1963, Republic Act 3680 converted it into the Philippine Merchant Marine Academy. It began offering maritime programs leading towards a B.S. degree in Marine Transportation and B.S. degree in Marine Engineering. Since 1996, PMMA has been offering master’s degree programs namely Master in Shipping Management and Master in Maritime Education and Training.